Many parts of South Africa experience heat waves throughout the summer months. Many people spend large amounts of time outdoors. Heat injuries can occur when our bodies lose necessary body fluids when our bodies produce sweat. These injuries can be severe and can lead to death if untreated.
The signs and symptoms of heat injuries are:
Here are a few tips to beat-the-heat:
- Stay well hydrated by drinking a lot of water.
- Keep a close eye on babies, the elderly and children. Ensure they stay well hydrated as well.
- Remember to ensure pets have a cool place to relax and cool clean water to drink as well.
- Try to keep out of direct sunlight.
- Wear the appropriate clothing and ensure you use sunscreen.
- Limit participation in outdoor activities. If you plan on participating in outdoor activities, ensure you rest and keep well hydrated.
- If you are going to spend time in a pool, ensure your safety and that of children around you.
- Ensure that they are supervised while around and in the pool.
- Do not leave children and pets in a vehicle even with a window open.
For any medical emergency contact us on 0861 086 911 for an ambulance.Leave a reply →